Request for a "no capture" rewrite directive enhancement

Peter Mescalchin peter.mescalchin at gmail.com
Tue May 27 23:52:33 UTC 2014

Hello Nginx developers,

   speaking to Maxim Konovalov over Twitter, suggested this would be the
better place to get an answer to my suggestion.

Basically what I would like to see is the ability to use a rewrite
directive without the need to capture the current URI, which in turn
overwrites $1,$2,$x captures made within a location directive.

Best to explain via an example:

https://gist.github.com/magnetikonline/11364574

As you can see, this works (and works well) but the need to use "set" to
save copies of $1/$2 seems a little wasteful.

Digging through the documentation I can't seem to find a way of using
rewrite without blowing away/not capturing the current URI.

Thoughts?

   Pete