Require a password for everything except one folder?

nrahl nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Nov 6 21:47:28 UTC 2014

> Are you sure that the test url that you are requesting matches this
> location?
>
> There may be more useful information in the debug log regarding what
> is going wrong for you.

With debug logging on, I ahve confirmed it is matching the correct location.

With:

location ^~ /Public {
      satisfy any;
      allow all;
      auth_basic off;
      try_files fake.html @apache;
}

It matched the  /Public location and I get: "no user/password was provided
for basic authentication" durring the access phase.

With:

location ^~ /Public {
      auth_basic off;
      try_files fake.html @apache;
}

It matches the Public location, and produces:
access phase: 9
post access phase: 10
access forbidden by rule, client: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, server: www.myserver.com,
request: "GET /Public/ HTTP/1.1", host: "www.myserver.com".

Then it returns a 403 without a basic auth prompt. So It looks like the rule
is ovverriding the basic auth prompt, but not the deny rule?

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,254625,254641#msg-254641