rewrite or return for simple redirection

neubyr neubyr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 20:06:54 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:21:40AM -0800, neubyr wrote:
>
> > I am trying to understand which option would result in more efficient
> HTTP
> > redirection. I am trying to redirect ^/address page to ^/contact page.
> >
> > Option 1:
> > rewrite ^/address /contact permanent;
> >
> > Option 2:
> > location ~ ^/address {
> >   return 301 $scheme://$host/contact
> > }
> >
> > Which option should be preferred? Both options involve regex and I am not
> > sure which one will be faster. Are there any other better options?
>
>     location = /address {
>         return 301 /contact;
>     }

Thank you Maxim!! That's helpful. I should have used precise location match
and relative redirect path.

Also, can something with following rewrite be converted to 'location and
return' combination?

rewrite ^/members/(.*)         /users/$1

Or am I better with rewrite directive in this case? Appreciate any help.

-N