Domain Names and directory configuration

Styopa Semenukha semenukha at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 03:32:52 UTC 2014

On Monday, November 24, 2014 09:08:08 PM angelox wrote:
> I'm starting out with nginx and I'm stumbling at something I thought simple,
> but that I haven't been able to figure out, yet.
>
> I need to map three domain names, each one to its own subdirectory under the
> document root directory (/usr/share/nginx/html/) on a shared host:
>
> domain1 ---> ../html/blog
> domain2 ---> ../html/wiki
> domain3 ---> ../html/forum
>
> If this is feasible, and I'd guess it is, then I'm not sure how to begin
> setting up locations that will serve requests from those subdirectories.
>
> In all cases, when trying something like www.domain1.com, nginx invariably
> maps to the root directory. Typing www.domain1.com/blog, for example, works
> just fine. I know I must be missing some essential info on how to configure
> nginx for this type of thing, and any hint or direction would be
> appreciated.
>
> Leon

Hi,

My personal off-topic advice is to put your website data to something like /var/www instead of /usr/share/nginx in order to keep your package manager happy and to comply with the FHS recommendations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

To answer your question, the config can be as follows:
server {
server_name blog.example.org;
root /var/www/blog;
server {