fastcgi_index - am I missing something obvious?

Sandra Snan sandra.snan at idiomdrottning.org
Thu Oct 16 05:40:17 UTC 2014

Thanks so much for finding so many avenues to trouble shoot, I had been
figuratively banging my head against the screen for hours, and all of
the ideas were good.

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 00:02:11 +0100, Francis Daly <francis at daoine.org> wrote:
> Can you show the output of "grep SCRIPT /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params"
> on the servers? (One output is fine, if the two are identical.)

This was the problem; the non-working server had a
fastcgi_param	SCRIPT_FILENAME		$request_filename;
line that I commented out, restarted nginx and now it's working.
The working server was missing that line.
Both had a SCRIPT_NAME line, which I didn't change.

So let that be a lesson to folks at home who find this post later!
I made a couple of mistakes here;

1. assuming that the /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params files were the same; they
plooked the same at first glance but I should've ran diff on them.
Things usually are in one of the _first_ places you look, if you don't
look carefully enough but think you have.
2. assuming that a SCRIPT_FILENAME line in the included file would be
harmless since I also had a
fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME  /usr/lib$fastcgi_script_name;
line in the specific server conf, without doublechecking order of
evaluation.

Readers with similar problems: if this doesn't solve it, take a look at
the other suggestions.
Francis, thanks for taking the time to helping me troubleshoot this.
I was seriously stuck.

Sandra