Socket connection failures on 1.6.1~precise

Jon Clayton jon.clayton at rackspace.com
Tue Sep 2 16:00:10 UTC 2014

I'm trying to track down an issue that is being presented only when I
run nginx version 1.6.1-1~precise.  My nodes running 1.6.0-1~precise do
not display this issue, but freshly created servers are getting floods
of these socket connection issues a couple times a day.

/connect() to unix:/tmp/unicorn.sock failed (11: Resource temporarily
unavailable) while connecting to upstream/

The setup I'm working with is nginx proxying requests to a unicorn
socket powered by a ruby app.  As stated above, the error is NOT present
on nodes running 1.6.0-1~precise, but any newly created node gets the
newer 1.6.1-1~precise package installed and will inevitably have that error.

All settings from nodes running 1.6.0 appear to be the same as newly
created nodes on 1.6.1 in terms of sysctl settings, nginx settings, and
unicorn settings.  All package versions are the same except for nginx.
When I downgraded one of the newly created nodes to nginx 1.6.0 using
the nginx ppa (ref:
https://launchpad.net/~nginx/+archive/ubuntu/stable), the error was not
present.

Is there any advice, direction, or similar issue experienced that
someone else might be able to help me track this down?