Socket connection failures on 1.6.1~precise

Jon Clayton jon.clayton at rackspace.com
Tue Sep 2 20:35:03 UTC 2014

I did see the changelog hadn't noted many changes and running a diff of
the versions shows what you mentioned regarding the 400 bad request
handling code.  I'm not necessarily stating that nginx is the problem,
but it would seem like something had changed enough to cause the
backend's backlog to fill more rapidly.

That could be a completely bogus statement as I've been attempting to
find a way to track down exactly what backlog is being filled, but my
test of downgrading nginx back to 1.6.0 from the nginx ppa seemed to
also point at a change in nginx causing the issue since the errors did
not persist after downgrading.

It's very possible that I'm barking up the wrong tree, but the fact that
only changing nginx versions back down to 1.6.0 from 1.6.1 eliminated
the errors seems suspicious.  I'll keep digging, but I'm open to any
other suggestions.