Pull from HLS to trigger non-static RTMP pull

simonb nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Sep 30 10:54:27 UTC 2014

I have set up an RTMP relay of all streams on a remote location. This works
fine as long as there is an RTMP request to trigger the pull from the remote
server. However HLS requests only work for as long as the RTMP request is
present.

Is there any way to get HLS (or DASH) requests to trigger the RTMP pull?

I was wondering if I am approaching this the right way. Maybe it would be
better to set up the server as an http proxy to the hls and dash streams
from the origin server. Any thoughts?

I am running nginx_1.4.6-1ubuntu3.1 patched with the rtmp module pulled from
git.

My RTMP server application config is...
                application live {
                        live on;
                        hls on;
                        hls_path /tmp/live;
                        pull rtmp://89057213.r.cdn77.net/89057213;

                }

My server config is...
        location /live {
                # Serve HLS fragments