ssl_password_file on nginx 1.8.0

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at yahoo.fr
Sat Aug 8 15:05:26 UTC 2015

Hello,

I cannot manage to load a certificate protected wit ha password on nginx
1.8.0:
[emerg] 2331#0: SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file("/etc/ssl/private/domain.key")
failed (SSL: error:0906406D:PEM routines:PEM_def_callback:problems getting
password error:0906A068:PEM routines:PEM_do_header:bad password read
error:140B0009:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file:PEM lib)

The file configured with ssl_password_file is plaintext, restricted to read
rights for root user only (even tried root user + root group).
Shall it be otherwise? Have I missed something?

​I intended to avoid deciphering my private keys using this new capability
of nginx.

I also noted that, dunno if it might be related to my trouble: ​
http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-devel/2014-October/006104.html

$ sudo nginx -v
nginx version: nginx/1.8.0
$ openssl version