server_name within tcp server blocks

Charles Nnamdi Akalugwu cprenzberg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 11:31:10 UTC 2015

Hi guys,

I have the following tcp server block in my nginx.conf

stream {
    upstream kafka_producer {

        server kafka.service.consul:9092;
    }

    server {
        listen 9092;
        server_name kafka.stream.mycompany.com;
        proxy_connect_timeout 10s;
        proxy_timeout 30s;
        proxy_pass kafka_producer;

I would like that my kafka tcp stream is accessible using only the
kafka.stream.mycompany.com:9092 address....just in the same way that it
works with http server blocks.

However I get the following error regarding the server_name:

*"server_name" directive is not allowed here in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf*

So who knows how I can simulate server_name within tcp server blocks?

Thanks!