using variables in certificate path names

gg gglater62 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 18:21:21 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 01:01:15PM +0300, Maxim Konovalov wrote:
> On 12/15/15 12:53 PM, Valentin V. Bartenev wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 December 2015 09:44:45 Aleksey Portnov wrote:
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> Is it possible and correct something like:
> >>
> >> server {
> >>     listen 1.1.1.1:443 ssl;
> >>
> >>     server_name     sitename.de sitename.fr  sitename.nl;
> >>    root /var/www/vhosts/Live/public_html;
> >>
> >>    ssl_certificate /etc/ssl/web/$host.pem;
> >>    ssl_certificate_key /etc/ssl/web/$host.key;

> >>  #commont  part for all sites
> >> }
> >>

> > Currently it's not possible.  Certificates and keys
> > are loaded while reading configuration.
> >
> .. and we are working on a similar feature.

I have similar problem.
There is:
server {
	listen 1.1.1.1
	listen 1.1.1.1:443
	server_name _ ;

and many locations there. Number of different hostnames might be thousands.
Some of them, (hundreds) might have certificates. How to serve them with nginx.
Generate separate server block {} for every certificate is not a solution.