301 redirect

Ian hobson42 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 22:18:20 UTC 2015

On 14/02/2015 21:57, JACK LINKERS wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to redirect some URLs after redesigning my website.
> I use a 301 redirect for HTTP to HTTPS protocole :
>
> if ($scheme = "http") {
> return 301 https://$server_name$request_uri;
> }
>
> But how do I redirect URLs that have been changed ?
> ie. https://mywebsite.com/oldname.html to
> https://mywebsite.com/newname.html
>
> I did try
>
>    if ( $request_filename ~ oldname.html/ ) {
>       rewrite ^ https://mywebsite.com/newname.html/? permanent;
>    }
>
> But this doesn't work.
>
> My website is hosted on a server with Direct Admin runing on a CentOS
> with Nginx as webserver. Don't know if it helps.
>
> Thanks in advance for help

Hi Jack,

I'm no nginx expert, but I think you should use location instead of if,
its faster and less prone to create other errors.
I think you can also use 301 redirects.

I would proceed to set up lots of  location clauses thus:

location = /oldurl$ {
     return 301 https://$server_name/newurl;
}

Hope this works for you

Ian

--
Ian Hobson
Mid Auchentiber, Auchentiber, Kilwinning, North Ayrshire KA13 7RR