Nginx Upload Progress Module stops functioning once behind reverse-proxy

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Feb 16 20:52:08 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 02:55:51PM -0500, Ben Johnson wrote:

Hi there,

> I've recently compiled nginx-1.7.10 with a third-party upload-progress
> tracking module, which is described at
> http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpUploadProgressModule .

Read the first two paragraphs on that page...

> This module works perfectly well, until I attempt to put the entire
> setup behind a reverse-proxy.

...and draw a picture of what happens when a client sends a 1MB upload
to nginx, and nginx sends it via proxy_pass to an upstream. That should
show you why it fails.

> With this configuration, the upload progress reporting functions
> correctly *only* if I access the reverse-proxy port directly, at
> https://example.com:1337.

Yes.

That's what nginx does.

Why does there need to be an upload_progress module in the first place,
instead of letting the upstream server take care of it?

In this case, you have put your upload_progress module on your upstream
server.

Not going to work. At least until you can use an "unbuffered
upload". Which is not in current nginx. (But is in other things.)

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org