smtps mail proxy

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sat Jan 24 14:01:18 UTC 2015

Hi there,

http://nginx.org/r/mail

> Our aim is to add SNI to port 465 (postfix) using nginx as transparent mail
> proxy.

I do not know that TLS SNI is supported in nginx mail proxy. Have you
any documentation saying that it is?

> 1. It is not clear how nginx would talk to postfix. One would expect the
> proxy to serve
> on port, say, 4650, being the port exposed by the router, masking postfix on
> port 465, but nginx does not seem to have a relevant configuration clause.

"listen" tells nginx where to listen.

"auth_http" tells nginx (eventually) where the upstream for this connection is.

http://nginx.org/r/auth_http

> 2. Nginx refuses to start-up, demanding "auth_http". However, we do not need
> to move authentication to nginx.

That's not (just) what auth_http is for.

nginx may not be the right tool for this job.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org