Nginx support fot Weedfs !!

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sat Jul 4 10:14:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 04:17:19AM +0500, shahzaib shahzaib wrote:

Hi there,

I've read your mail, and I am not sure what your planned architecture
is -- as in, at what point do you want nginx to be used.

> Currently, weedfs
> default webserver is being used as HTTP but it would be better to have
> nginx webserver on volume servers for its low foot prints, stability and
> robust response time for static .jpg files.
>
> So we need to know if we can use nginx with weedFS ?

If you want to replace the weed volume server (which exposes a http
interface to clients) with the nginx http server, then you will probably
need to reimplement whatever it is that the weed volume server does that
nginx does not do.

Or you could try to use nginx for some of what the weed volume server
does, and implement some way of "passing off" the rest of what the weed
volume server does, to the weed volume server.

Either way, you'll probably need to arrange for code to be written.

If you want the browser to make a request of nginx, and then have nginx
fetch the content from the weedfs service, then you will need a weedfs
client available within nginx.

That should be doable, but will take some coding since it does not exist
in stock nginx.

> Following is the
> github we found, but need to confirm if it will fulfill our needs ?
>
> https://github.com/medcl/lua-resty-weedfs

That does not look like a complete weedfs client to me; but it may be
enough for your needs, depending on what exactly your needs are.

It shouldn't be too difficult to set up a small test to see that it does
do what you want, at the speed you want.

If you can describe your intended data flow -- starting with something
like "the browser will get *this* url which has *this* content" --
then it may be clearer what you are trying to achieve.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org