Intermittent SSL Handshake Errors

flechamobile nginx-forum at nginx.us
Sun Jul 12 16:33:09 UTC 2015

I found myself with the same problem and found the cause (and obvious
solution).

On my nginx server I run various website and they all have their own server
{} config block in separate files under 'sites-available' folder.
Some sites are on different IP's and some are on the same IP.

Now the cause of the problem was because I'd had set 2 server blocks
listening on the same IP on SSL for different server_names like so:

server {
	listen 37.230.101.215:443 ssl spdy;
	server_name www.domain1.com *.domain1.com;

	ssl on;
	ssl_certificate /etc/ssl/cert.crt;
	ssl_certificate_key /etc/ssl/key.key;
  	ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:10m;
  	ssl_session_timeout 10m;

..etc
}

and for another site the same:

	server_name www.domain2.com *.domain2.com;

	ssl on;
	ssl_certificate /etc/ssl/cert.crt;
	ssl_certificate_key /etc/ssl/key.key;
  	ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:10m;
  	ssl_session_timeout 10m;

..etc
}

When you do this it gives the exact same error as this thread is about..
might be something to check.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,256373,260227#msg-260227