Conditional access log formatting ?

Ben ben+nginx at list-subs.com
Sat Jul 18 10:37:33 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm using haproxy infront of some NGINX instances, but only for some
instances which are being loadbalanced by haproxy, there are other
instances which go straight through.

I realise I need to change the logging format in NGINX to enable
X-Forwarded-For in the access logs.

The question is whether I can conditionally format the logs, i.e. use
"X-Forwarded-For" if it exists, otherwise use the normal NGINX logging
format.

I've had a quick peek at the manual, I'm thinking maybe this can be done
with a map of some sort ?  Maybe there's a better way ?  To be honest
I've no idea where to start, and I've never used maps before anyway !