Perl + fcgi + nginx - what am I doing wrong?

youradds nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri Jul 31 17:51:25 UTC 2015

Hi Fancis,

Thanks for the reply!

> What is shown when you "diff" the working old nginx.conf and the failing
> new nginx.conf?

Not a huge amount tbh. The live one has:

  pid /var/run/nginx.pid;

and new dev has:

  pid /run/nginx.pid;

New one has:

	##
	# SSL Settings
	##

	ssl_protocols TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2; # Dropping SSLv3, ref: POODLE
	ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;

..extra.

..and the old one has this extra (all commented out, mind);

	# gzip_types text/plain text/css application/json application/x-javascript
text/xml application/xml application/xml+rss text/javascript;

	##
	# nginx-naxsi config
	##
	# Uncomment it if you installed nginx-naxsi
	##

	#include /etc/nginx/naxsi_core.rules;

	##
	# nginx-passenger config
	##
	# Uncomment it if you installed nginx-passenger
	##

	#passenger_root /usr;
	#passenger_ruby /usr/bin/ruby;

> Do the old and new use the same fastcgi server? Are there any differences
> in the fastcgi server config?

Both the same by the looks of it:

root at steamdev2:~# service fastcgi --version
service ver. 0.91-ubuntu1

root at steampunkjlinode:~# service fastcgi --version
service ver. 0.91-ubuntu1

> Do the old and new use the same fastcgi server? Are there any differences
> in the fastcgi server config?

Do you mean the etc/init.d/fcgiwrap file? There were a few differents in it
(mostly comments). I tried copying the same one over from live, but didn't
seem to make a difference

> What file on your filesystem do you want the fasctcgi server to process
> when you request this index.cgi? -- your server layout.

The layout is:

/srv/www/site.net/logs/
/srv/www/site.net/www/
/srv/www/site.net/www/cgi-bin

The .cgi/.pl stuff is all going to be in /cgi-bin - but for testing
purposes, I've just stuck it at root level (so I can try out and see if I
can get it working at the most basic level)

The script in question would be found /srv/www/site.net/www/index.cgi, and I
would expect it to work/run at http://site.net/index.cgi

With regards to  /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params settings - here are the values of
them:

LIVE (working) ONE: http://pastebin.com/QMHKGkJX
NEW ONE: http://pastebin.com/G72Ds9aA

Hopefully that answers everything :)