Accept-Encoding: gzip and the Vary header

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Thu Jun 4 09:49:18 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Jason Woods <devel at jasonwoods.me.uk> wrote:

An HTTP/1.1 server SHOULD include a Vary header field with any
>    cacheable response that is subject to server-driven negotiation.
>    Doing so allows a cache to properly interpret future requests on that
>    resource and informs the user agent about the presence of negotiation on that resource.

You are right, and the section about server-driven negotiation

    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#page-72

explicitly mentions Accept-Encoding as an example. So case closed.

Next question is: why is gzip_vary off by default? Isn't the most common
case that you want it enabled?

Xavier

PS: In my next reencarnation I promise to only work on specs written as
axiomatic systems.