Default value of gzip_proxied

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at yahoo.fr
Fri Mar 20 18:41:59 UTC 2015

I recently bumped into some trouble with a client caching uncompressed data
without understanding where it came from.

After long investigation on what appeared to be random, I narrowed it to
the gzip_proxied
<http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_gzip_module.html#gzip_proxied>
directive. Return content from webserver was supposed to be *always*
compressed (as compressed data is generally better than uncompressed
whenever possible), but when requests coming from clients behind proxies
resulted in MISS, the returned content was uncompressed and stored as such
in cache... thus serving cached uncompressed data to final clients.

​Why is the default value of that directive 'off'? What is the problem with
sneding compressed data to proxies? Why have you decided on such a default
value?

Thanks,
---
*B. R.*