Default value of gzip_proxied

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Mar 22 03:24:47 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 04:20:12AM +0200, Gena Makhomed wrote:

> On 22.03.2015 3:31, Maxim Dounin wrote:
>
> >- You assume that the behaviour in question is only needed for
> >   HTTP/1.0 clients.  That's, again, not true, as using "Vary: Accept-Encoding"
> >   isn't a good idea either.  As already mentioned, even if
> >   correctly supported it will cause cache data duplication.
> >
> >If you don't like the behaviour, you can always configure nginx to
> >do whatever you want.  But I don't think the default worth
> >changing.
>
> If turn gunzip on - nginx can store in cache only one compressed
> answer from origin server and can correctly provide uncompressed
> content for proxies and clients, which not support compression ?

Yes, though this requires some special configuration.  In
particular, you have to instruct your backend to return gzip
(usually by "proxy_set_header Accept-Encoding gzip;" in nginx).
Additionally, if your backen returns "Vary: Accept-Encoding",
you'll have to instruct nginx to ignore it when using nginx 1.7.7+
("proxy_ignore_headers Vary").

http://nginx.org/