Connection timeout from work, working anywhere else

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue May 5 18:11:18 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 02:19:45PM -0400, GuiPoM wrote:

Hi there,

> Thank you for your answer. I can reproduce on demand ! BUTI am not familiar
> with nginx.
>  Could you give me some hints what to activate in order to provide useful
> information for debugging ?

You could follow http://nginx.org/en/docs/debugging_log.html to get all
sorts of information out of nginx -- but I suspect that that will not
be immediately useful.

When things work, what is the sequence of requests made? access_log will
have that.

When things fail, what is the sequence of requests made? access_log will
also have that.

What is the first request in the sequence that fails, or otherwise does
not get the expected response, in the "fail" case?

Can you arrange a single "curl" command that works in one case and fails
in the other? That may help you analyse where things go wrong.

> Next follows the config. Hope it will help !

Once the "failing" request is identified, the matching server{} and
location{} can be analysed to see what should happen.

(If it turns out that the "failure" happens before the request gets to
nginx -- for example, during ssl negotiation -- then the details of the
request are less important.)

But that config is presumably in one of the files mentioned in an
"include" directive.

> 	include /etc/nginx/conf.d/*.conf;
> 	include /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/*;

Good luck with it,