encoded url

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed May 27 22:15:43 UTC 2015

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 01:56:32PM -0400, pierob83 wrote:

Hi there,

>             I've nginx 1.2.5 and I've an issue about encoded URLs.

I've not tested this on 1.2.5; but the concept should remain the same.

> Is there a way to make nginx accepts URL like the following:
>
> http://www.mywebsite.com/image.php%3Fid%3D12345
>
> as equivalent of the following?
>
> http://www.mywebsite.com/image.php?id=12345

nginx won't directly accept the two as equivalent, because they are not,
in important ways.

There are two approaches you can take.

* redirect the client to the correct url, and let them request that

* proxy_pass the correct url back into the same nginx instance

I do not know the full correct nginx syntax; but if you are happy that
there will not be other encoded characters in the request that must remain
encoded for it to be a valid url, you could try matching on the encoded
? in the request, and using the unencoded version in the next step.

That is:

  location ~ \? { return 301 $uri; }

or

  location ~ \? {
    proxy_pass http://[your bit here]$uri;
    proxy_set_header Host $host;
  }

where [your bit here] is an ip:port that corresponds to this server's
"listen" directive, and the proxy_set_header bit is to ensure that
this server's server_name matches (and the right thing is used in any
response headers).

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org