nginx SSL_do_handshake() failed

Nicholas Wieland ngw at nofeed.org
Fri Nov 27 16:41:23 UTC 2015

> On 27 Nov 2015, at 17:14, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 04:54:29PM +0100, Nicholas Wieland wrote:
>
>> it's the first time I configure an SSL certificate on my development machine (I'm no sysadmin - I need SSL to work with facebook). I decided to go with ngingx proxying a ruby sinatra application, nothing fancy.
>>
>> This is the error I get when Facebook tries to connect to my HTTP server. AFAIK nginx is the culprit here:
>>
>> 2015/11/26 15:42:03 [info] 42872#0: *3 SSL_do_handshake() failed (SSL: error:14094418:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 alert unknown ca:SSL alert number 48) while SSL handshaking, client: 31.13.113.70, server: 0.0.0.0:4567
>>
>> This is what I did:
>>
>> Downloaded the cert (a .key, a .crt and a .csr) from RapidSSL
>> Downloaded the trusted cert from RapidSSL (https://knowledge.rapidssl.com/library/VERISIGN/ALL_OTHER/RapidSSL%20Intermediate/RapidSSL_CA_bundle.pem) and saved locally under /etc/ssl/cert/
>> Installed locally nginx and configured like this: https://gist.github.com/ngw/f97adc4194b08ea355c8
>> Restarted both nginx and puma respectively on port 4567 and 8080
>>
>> Went to https://sandbox.thing.it, the app responded as expected, the connection was encrypted and the certificate appears to be the correct one.

>> Any suggestion?
>
> Make sure to properly configure certificate chains, see
> http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/configuring_https_servers.html#chains <http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/configuring_https_servers.html#chains>
> for details.

I’m not entirely sure I understand why I need a certificate chain. The .crt file is what the provider sent me, that’s what I use. Should I “chain” the .crt file the provider sent me with the RapidSSL bundle? This is for testing and development, I don’t really care about performances, a slow solution is perfectly fine

  ngw