NULL values in Nginx logs?

Nikolas Stevenson-Molnar nik.molnar at consbio.org
Mon Sep 14 23:26:52 UTC 2015

I experienced a problem with a web server earlier today in which it stopped responding to all HTTP requests (they would just hang... not sure if they connected and then hung, or got stuck trying to connect...). I'm not sure this was even an Nginx issue (I had problems SSHing to the server and eventually had to do a hard reboot), but the only thing out of the ordinary I can find in any of the application and system logs is a big block of \0 characters in both the access and error logs for Nginx around the time the problem started.

Does anyone know what might cause Nginx to write NULLs to its access and error logs?

Thanks,
_Nik