debugging 504 Gateway Time-out

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Aug 15 08:05:45 UTC 2016

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 08:03:21PM -0400, Larry Martell wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 10:35 PM, Richard Stanway
> <r1ch+nginx at teamliquid.net> wrote:

Hi there,

> I have some requests that can take a long time to return - the users
> can request huge amount of data to be pulled from very large database
> tables with complex filters. But what I don't understand it how the
> nginx timeout works. My config file has this:
>
> proxy_read_timeout 600;
> proxy_connect_timeout 600;
> proxy_send_timeout 600;
> send_timeout 600;
>
> That's 10 minutes, right? But I get the 504 response before 10 minutes
> have passed since the request is sent. Why is that?

The documentation for each of those directives can be found at urls of
the form http://nginx.org/r/proxy_read_timeout

Most likely, the proxy_* ones are not used because you do not have a
matching proxy_pass.

You use uwsgi_pass. So investigate directives like uwsgi_read_timeout,
at http://nginx.org/r/uwsgi_read_timeout

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org