Restart Nginx than root user?

steve steve at greengecko.co.nz
Mon Jan 25 01:40:56 UTC 2016

HI,

On 01/25/2016 12:27 PM, smsmaddy1981 wrote:
> Hi Team,
> root user is must for NGinx restart?
> Everytime of restart, prompts for root user than other users. PID's are not
> getting killed...for the running process with project users.
>
> I tried solution of adding entry to Sudoers file with an path of executable
> script. No luck. Following are the changes made
>
> /ectc/sudoers
> %gvp ALL=NOPASSWD: /var/gvp/Nginx/bin/restartNginx #To get rid of Nginx
> restart with root user and to attain with gvp user
>
> /var/gvp/Nginx/bin/restartNginx
> #! /bin/bash
> /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/gvp/Nginx/nginx-1.8.0/logs/nginx.pid`
>
> Please review, if above instructions are correct.
>
> And, suggest how project users can be used to restart NGinx...to avoid
> manual intervention and dependency of root user always.
>

> Regards,
> Maddy
>
> Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,264087,264087#msg-264087

You only need root privileges if you are trying to open a port with a
number lower than 1024 ( might be 1000, been a while! ). You could set
the setuid privileges on the start script, and run it that way...
however, most linux shells will forbid that for security reasons.

Your sudo solution should work fine, and really is the best one. Here's
an entry on one of my servers to allow user alchemy to manage apache ( I
know, they're in the stone age! )  on debian wheezy... I just provide
them access to the standard System V init scripts via the service command

# cat /etc/sudoers.d/alchemy
alchemy    ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/service apache2 *

Steve

--
Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MIITP
http://www.greengecko.co.nz