Nginx Slow download over 1Gbps load !!

Reinis Rozitis r at roze.lv
Sun Jan 31 20:56:38 UTC 2016

> Yes, we recently tried downloading file over FTP and encountered the same
> slow transfer rate.

Then it's not really a nginx issue, it seems you just hit the servers
(current) network limit.

> zpool iostat is quite stable yet. We're using HBA LSI-9211 , so its not
> hardware controller as FreeBSD recommends to use HBA in order to directly
> access all drives for scrubbing and data-integrity purposes.
> Do you recommend Hardware-Raid ?

Well no, exactly opposite - ZFS works best(better) with bare disks than
hardware raid between.
Just usually theese HBAs come with IR (internal raid) firmware - also you
mentioned Raid 10 in your setup while in ZFS-world such term isn't often
used (rather than mirrored pool or raidz(1,2,3..)).

As to how to solve the bandwidth issue - from personal experience I have
more success (less trouble/expensive etc) with interface bonding on the
server itself (for Linux with balance-alb which doesn't require any specific
switch features or port configuration) rather than relying on the switches.
The drawback is that a single stream/download can't go beyond one physical
interface speed limit (for 1Gbe = ~100MB/s) but the total bandwidth cap is
roughly multiplied by the device count bonded together.

Not a BSD guy but I guess the lagg in loadbalance mode would do the same (
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?lagg ).

rr