nginx not forwarding requests to backend servers.

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Jul 27 14:48:17 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 07:33:31AM -0500, Brian Pugh wrote:

Hi there,

> I am using nginx as a load balancer. However when I type in the URL for my
> site, which resolves to the IP of the load balancer, I get the default
> nginx page saying "nginx has been setup more configuration is required". I
> would expect nginx to forward my request through to the backend servers I
> have defined.

What request do you make of nginx?

Which of your defined location{} blocks does it match:

  location / {
  location = /50x.html {
  location ~ \.php$ {

> And oddly enough, there is very little in the way of logging
> going on, to tell me why its failing.

You wrote that it is returning some content, presumably with a http
200. That suggests that it is not failing to do what you told it to do.

It cannot guess what you want it to do.

>     Can anyone help my get requests to go to the backend servers? Is there

Try a request that ends with ".php" ?

Use "curl -v" and copy-paste the output, if it is not what you expect.

> any other config or depenency apps needed that I may not have installed or
> running? Also is there a way to enable more advanced debug logging to give
> me a better idea whats going on?

There is the "debug log", which is "extra stuff written to the error log":

http://nginx.org/en/docs/debugging_log.html

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org