Nginx 1.9.11 and OpenSSL 1.0.2G - HTTP2, but no ALPN negotiated.

Alt nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Thu Mar 3 16:00:03 UTC 2016

Hello,

"In most cases HTTP/2 with NPN in OpenSSL 1.0.1 will work for now.", yes,
for now, sadly Google will remove the NPN support in Chrome "soon": "We plan
to remove support for SPDY in early 2016, and to also remove support for the
TLS extension named NPN in favor of ALPN in Chrome at the same time. Server
developers are strongly encouraged to move to HTTP/2 and ALPN.".
Source: http://blog.chromium.org/2015/02/hello-http2-goodbye-spdy.html

Thats why we all have to hurry the migration to ALPN by compiling nginx with
OpenSSL 1.0.2 or LibreSSL.

PS : I can't find a good reason for Google to drop support for NPN right
now... it feels like last year, when they wanted to drop support of SPDY in
Chrome when HTTP/2 was barely standardized and no major web server was
HTTP/2 ready.

Best Regards

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,265036,265048#msg-265048