nginx + openssl 1.0.2 increased memory usage

ajrpayne nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Wed Mar 16 23:56:14 UTC 2016

Hello,

We attempted to upgrade from nginx + openssl 1.0.1 to nginx + openssl 1.0.2,
but unfortunately we ran into some memory related issues when running nginx
+ openssl 1.0.2.

When we are running nginx + openssl 1.0.1 as a reverse proxy, our nginx
instance uses about 10 gigs of memory, and around 20 gigs during a reload.
Which to me makes sense as during the reload we'd have double the number of
worker processes.

When we are running nginx + openssl 1.0.2 as a reverse proxy, our nginx
instance uses about 25 gigs or more of memory, and around 50 gigs or more
during a reload, and sometimes that memory is not recovered.

Has anyone else noticed similar increases in memory use when combining nginx
+ openssl 1.0.2?

Any ideas what could be the cause for the increase?

Just looking for a general direction I should be exploring.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,265419,265419#msg-265419