proxy_read_timeout vs proxy_next_upstream_timeout

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at yahoo.fr
Thu Mar 31 22:32:35 UTC 2016

http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_proxy_module.html#proxy_next_upstream_timeout
'[...] hitting 50s [...]' (cf. http://nginx.org/en/docs/syntax.html)​

> If one upstream has issues causing read timeout, nginx will keep wait to
> read, until 100, then timeout,

http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_proxy_module.html#proxy_read_timeout
​nginx will wait for a maximum of 100s between two successful read
operations (or before the first one) and will fail if exceeded.
​

> then checks the proxy_next_upstream_timeout which is 50 and already
> passed, so nginx won't retry next upstream.
>
> I am trying to setup nginx to only retry on connect timeout, not read
> timeout, will above work?

http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_proxy_module.html#proxy_next_upstream
The 'timeout' property regroups conneciton timeout and header read timeout​.
Content read timeout is set by proxy_read_timeout
<http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_proxy_module.html#proxy_read_timeout>
(default 60s)
---
*B. R.*