HTTP2 window update and priority

Muhui Jiang jiangmuhui at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:12:59 UTC 2016

Hi

>You've misread the source code.  HTTP/2 windows are handled in
>ngx_http_v2_send_chain(), which is only called for response body
>data.

when the window is blocked, Nginx logs that the headers frame has been sent
out, however I cannot receive any response headers. The same client tried
on h2o and I can receive the response headers.

>The prioritization has effect when there is concurrency for
>connection.  In your case from nginx point of view there was
>only one stream in processing at any moment.  The previous
>stream was completed before the new one has been received.

Let me explain my strategy in detail. I used some requests(stream id 1-15)
to consume the window (65535) And then block the window without sending any
window update frame(I have sent a very large stream update before). Then I
send the next 6 streams with different priorities. At this moment, the 6
streams should be blocked. Nginx should have enough time to handle the
priority. Then I send a very large window update frame, but nginx will
process the stream one by one with no priority observation. What I want to
say is, only when the file is really large then the priority can be
observed. But I have give enough time to Nginx by block the request. Nginx
should handle the priority though the file is really small. If you need
more information, please tell me. Many Thanks

Best Regards
Muhui Jiang