Bloking Bad bots

lists at lazygranch.com lists at lazygranch.com
Mon Nov 14 15:30:15 UTC 2016

You can block some of those bots at the firewall permanently.

I use the nginx map feature in a similar manner, but I don't know if map is more efficient than your code. ‎I started out blocking similar to your scheme, but the map feature looks clear to me in the conf file.

Majestic and Sogou sure are annoying. For what I block, I use 444 rather than 403. (And yes, I know that destroys the matter/anti-matter mix of the universe, so don't lecture me.) I then eyeball the 444 hits periodically, using a script to pull the 444 requests out of the access.log file. I have another script to get just the IP addresses from access.log.

For the search engines like Majestic and Sogou, which don't seem to have an IP space you can look up via BGP tools, I take the IP used and add it to my firewall blocking table. I can go weeks before a new IP gets used.