Allow PHPMyAdmin access on certain virtual hosts - Ubuntu and Nginx

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sun Oct 9 15:48:33 UTC 2016

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 10:20:51AM -0400, mrast wrote:

Hi there,

There are many ways that you might have configured things. Only you
know the one way that you have configured things. Until you share that,
there is not much that others can do.

> If i remove the /phpmyadmin section from website1 config file, it just
> removes the pre-auth login box and goes straight to the main phpma screen.

When you do that, what is the actual url that your browser has requested?

It will start with http:// or https://, then it will have website1.com --
I don't care about those bits.

Then it will have a /, and then something, and then maybe a ? or a #
and something else. The "/something" is the bit that matters here.

> I have a symlink for nginx to use phpmyadmin /usr/share/phpmyadmin
> /usr/share/nginx/html
>
> I have a symlink in website2 and 4 directory's for /usr/share/phpmyadmin

I am not sure what you mean by that; it may not matter at least until
the request and matching config is identified.

If you have a new-enough nginx, then

  nginx -T | grep 'server\|location'

may hide enough of the config that you are willing to show the
output. Only the "website1" piece is interesting here. And this assumes
that there are no directives from the "rewrite" module that will take
effect first.

Given the "location"s that are defined, and given the request that you
make, what one "location" will nginx use to handle the request?

That is a place to consider making a change.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org