proxy_next_upstream exemption for 429 "too many requests"

Marques Johansson marques+nginx at linode.com
Wed Oct 19 20:39:41 UTC 2016

"proxy_next_upstream error" has exemptions for 402 and 403.  Should it not
have exemptions for 429 "Too many requests" as well?

I want proxied servers' 503 and 429 responses with "Retry-After" to be
delivered to the client as the server responded.  The 429s in this case
contain json bodies.

I assume I should use proxy_pass_header to get Retry-After preserved in the
modification (short of a feature request that proxy_next_upstream be
modified)?