proxy_next_upstream exemption for 429 "too many requests"

Marques Johansson marques+nginx at linode.com
Thu Oct 20 12:30:21 UTC 2016

I was mistaken.  I wasn't triggering 429s reliably.  They are being passed
through as expected.

I will use proxy_pass_header Retry-After to get the behavior I wanted for
503s.

Some of my server 503s may be application/json while others are text/html.

I would like to pass the json responses through while nginx returns its
own 503 response instead of server 503 html responses.

That doesn't seem to be possible with the existing proxy options.