nginx 1.11.5 'duplicate' map_hash_bucket_size error when geoip_country block used?

lists at ssl-mail.com lists at ssl-mail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:08:57 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016, at 05:20 AM, Maxim Dounin wrote:
> It's not relevant to geoip_country, but rather to the map{} block
> before the map_hash_bucket_size directive.  Something like
>
>     map $uri $foo {}
>     map_hash_bucket_size 4096;
>
> is enough to trigger the error, as the map{} block requires some
> hash bucket size to be set.  And if it is not set when parsing a
> map{} block, it is automatically configures bucket size to a
> default value.  An attempt to redefine bucket size later will
> trigger the error, and this is what happens with the above
> configuration.
>
> The message is a bit misleading in this particular situation
> as it is a generic one.  Though the fact that the configuration is
> rejected is correct: nginx can't use the value specified in the
> map_hash_bucket_size directive, and hence it is expected to reject
> the configuration.
>
> An obvious solution would be to specify map_hash_bucket_size
> before the map{} block, i.e.:
>
>     map_hash_bucket_size 4096;
>     map $uri $foo {}

Clearly explained, and the 'solution', of simply ordering the commands as above, works as promised.

Once you understand what's going on, "directive is duplicate in" actually makes  sense.

Curious, did I miss this ^^ fact in the docs somewhere?

Obviously not critical, but a more clearly descriptive/relevant error would be nice ....

Thanks.