UDP load balancing - 1 new socket for each incoming packet?

Gwenole Gendrot gwenoleg at alinket.com
Thu Sep 1 06:58:50 UTC 2016

Hi,

I've been using nginx 1.11.3 to test the UDP load balancing feature,
using a "basic" configuration.
The functionality is working out of the box, but a new socket will be
created by the proxy for each packet sent from a client (to the same
connection). This leads to resource exhaustion under heavy load (even
with only 1 client / 1 server).

My question: is it the intended behaviour to open a new socket for each
incoming packet?
- if no => is this a bug? some misconfiguration from my part (either in
nginx or Linux)? has anyone observed this behaviour?
- if yes => is reusing the socket for the same connection a missing
feature / future improvement?

Tx!
Gwn

P.S.: my current workaround is to set the proxy timeout to a very low
value and increase the maximum number of concurrent connections & opened
files/sockets.
P.P.S: Logs were empty of warnings & errors. My coonfiguration (nothing
fancy, pretty much all the system & SW are from a fresh install) as
attachment.

BR,

Gwenole Gendrot
156 1835 3270