emergency msg after changing cache path

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Sep 7 14:59:15 UTC 2016

Hello!

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 10:30:18AM -0400, shiz wrote:

> Got this message after changing the cache path?  Could not find a solution
> after googling it.  Any help?
>
> [emerg] 15154#15154: cache "my_zone" uses the "/dev/shm/nginx" cache path
> while previously it used the "/tmp/nginx" cache path

You are trying to reload a configuration to an incompatible one,
with a shared memory zone used for different cache.  It's not
something nginx is prepared to handle, so it refuses to reload the
configuration.  Available options are:

- change the configuration to a compatible one (e.g., rename the
  cache zone so nginx will create a new one);

- do a binary upgrade to start a new instance of nginx with only
  listening sockets inherited (see http://nginx.org/en/docs/control.html#upgrade,
  usually can be simplified to "service nginx upgrade");

- just restart nginx.

http://nginx.org/