limit-req and greedy UAs

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 00:56:42 UTC 2016

> limit_req works with multiple connections, it is usually configured per IP
> using $binary_remote_addr. See
> http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_limit_req_module.html#limit_req_zone
> - you can use variables to set the key to whatever you like.
>
> limit_req generally helps protect eg your backend against request floods
> from a single IP and any amount of connections. limit_conn protects against
> excessive connections tying up resources on the webserver itself.

I'm suspicious that Odoo which runs behind nginx in a reverse proxy
config could be creating too many connections or something similar and
bogging things down for my main site which runs in apache2 behind
nginx as well.  Is there a good way to find out?  Stopping the Odoo
daemon certainly kills the problem instantly.

- Grant