444 return code and rate limiting

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 27 17:06:00 UTC 2016

Responding 444 is... a response.

It is not anything else than a (non-standard, thus 'unknown', just like 499
nginx chose to illustrate client-side premature disconnection) HTTP status
code as any other.
Some speedup might come from using return instead of doing further
processing, but there is still a connection, data sent, data processed and
response sent. Basically resources are being burned up and not available
for another request/client.

HTTP status code do not do anything by themselves, they are just part of a
protocol legitimate clients implement. I do not think attackers care much
about status code other than what they guess about the server.

In case of DoS, your only hope is to divert/absorb the flow.
​Blabbering about status codes​ as a potential solution to DoS shows deep
misunderstanding of what is being discussed and is pure nonsense.
---
*B. R.*