How to enable OCSP stapling when default server is self-signed?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Sep 28 21:14:22 UTC 2016

Hello!

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 12:44:45PM -0400, hotwirez wrote:

[...]

> I wanted to mention that I've run into this issue as well when trying to
> enable OCSP stapling, where I have a default_deny SSL server that has a
> self-signed certificate where I don't want to use OCSP stapling, and other
> actual server entries for actual sites where I want OCSP stapling enabled.
> If I enable stapling for only the real sites, it appears to be silently
> disabled.  If I enable it for all server instances, it notices that the
> default server uses a self-signed certificate and disables stapling.  If I
> remove the default server, OCSP stapling works for the remaining sites, but
> then accessing the site using a means other than the correct server name
> provides the SSL certificate for one of the servers.

Problems with OCSP stapling if it is disabled in the default
server{} block were traced to be an OpenSSL bug, silently fixed in
1.0.0m/1.0.1g/1.0.2.  See here for details:

https://trac.nginx.org/nginx/ticket/810

If you see the problem it means you have to update the OpenSSL
library you are using.

http://nginx.org/