Login-Credentials based redirection?

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 13:45:51 UTC 2017

Hi All.

We have setup multiple ssh-reverse tunnels, and our server will be
listening to ports from 9000 to 10000.
The server will have a public-IP, and we DO NOT want just anyone to look
into any of the ports by trying ::

http://1.2.3.4:9000
http://1.2.3.4:9001 and so on ...

So, we are wondering if we can do something like this ::

1. User types in a URL, let's say https://1.2.3.4/index.html
2. The user gets presented with a login/password page.
3. Depending upon the credentials passed, the user gets "proxied" to the
appropriate end-url.

So, a user with credentials for port 9000 will ONLY be able to see
http://1.2.3.4:9000
A user with credentials for port 9001 will ONLY be able to see
http://1.2.3.4:9001, and so on ..

An important point to note that the URLs http://1.2.3.4:9000,
http://1.2.3.4:9001 must be not be directly accessible, else it defeats the
purpose of authentication at first place.

Is the above approach feasible logically and technically-via-nginx?

Will be grateful for pointers.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay