HTTP/2 on the Upstream

Igal @ Lucee.org igal at lucee.org
Wed Apr 12 18:40:16 UTC 2017

According to https://www.nginx.com/blog/http2-module-nginx/#QandA nginx
only supports HTTP/2 on the client side, but it is possible to configure
proxy_pass to use HTTP/2.

There is a huge benefit in supporting HTTP/2 on the Upstream, as that
will allow the Upstream servers to perform HTTP/2 Push
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP/2_Server_Push).

While nginx can not know which resources should be pushed on a dynamic
page, as dynamic pages can not be simply cached across different users,
the Upstream servers can know which resources should be pushed.

I really think that nginx should reconsider its position on this matter.

In the meantime, where can I find documentation on how to configure
proxy_pass to use HTTP/2?

Thank you,

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer