upstream - behavior on pool exhaustion

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at yahoo.fr
Sat Apr 15 01:55:20 UTC 2017

Let me be clear here:
I got 6 active servers (not marked down), and the logs show 1 attempt on
each. They all failed for a known reason, and there is no problem there.
Subsequently, the whole pool was 'down' and the response was 502.
Everything perfectly normal so far.

​What is unclear is the feature (as you classified it) of having a fake
node named after the pool appearing in the list of tried upstream servers.​
It brings confusion more than anything else: having a 502 response + the
list of all tried (and failed) nodes corresponding with the list of active
nodes is more than enough to describe what happened.
The name of the upstream group does not corresponding to any real asset, it
is purely virtual classification. It thus makes no sense at all to me to
have it appearing as a 7th 'node' in the list... and how do you interpret
its response time (where you got also a 7th item in the list)?
Moreover, it is confusing, since proxy_pass handles domain names and one
could believe nginx treated the upstream group name as such.
---
*B. R.*