execution error - pcre limits exceeded (-8)

Dino Edwards dino.edwards at mydirectmail.net
Thu Apr 20 18:42:42 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have compiled nginx 1.12.0 with modsecurity on a Ubuntu 16.04 server and I'm running it as a reverse proxy in front of an Apache webserver which hosts a variety of different type of websites. After enabling modsecurity I'm starting to get a lot of the following errors in the error.log file:

execution error - pcre limits exceeded (-8)

At that point, web pages don't load correctly.  Can someone help with this? I haven't found anything useful on google except some references of adjusting my php.ini file which doesn't seem to be relevant in my case.

Thanks