Problem with proxy_cache_path and limit

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Dec 19 13:45:03 UTC 2017

Hello!

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 09:14:43PM -0500, erick3k wrote:

[...]

> 	proxy_cache_path /home/admin/cachemaster levels=1:2 keys_zone=my_cache:100m
> max_size=1g inactive=60m use_temp_path=off;

[...]

> but the folder /home/admin/cachemaster fills up beyond 1gb, what am i
> missing

Could you please clarify what exactly do you observe?

Note that "max_size=" is not a strict limit, but rather a
threshold when nginx will start cleaning old cache items.  It
doesn't guarantee that the size of the folder will not exceed the
limit specified - rather, nginx will take actions when the size
exceeds the limit.

Note well that with "use_temp_path=off" temporary files are placed
into the cache directory, but they will not be counted against
max_size.

That is, with the specified configuration it is expected that the
folder can contain more than 1gb under load.  Especially if there
are large cacheable responses in flight, which will occupy space
as temporary files.

http://mdounin.ru/