nginx as reverse proxy to several backends

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Feb 22 20:49:13 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 06:29:56AM +0100, Filip Francis wrote:

Hi there,

I haven't tested any of this, but...

> I am trying to set-up a reverse proxy with nginx so that based on
> the server_name it goes to the correct backend.

That should be straightforward; and it looks to me like you almost have
it working.

> when user type xxxx.yyy.be as normal http it redirects to https and
> then forwards it to the backend nummer 1

It may be worth being explicit there:

http://xxxx.yyy.be is redirected to https://xxxx.yyy.be
https://xxxx.yyy.be is proxy_pass'ed to backend1

> but when user type zzzz.yyy.be also as normal http it redrects it to
> https and forwards it to the correct backend (so here it would be
> backend nummer 2)

And the same for zzzz.yyy.be, but eventually to backend2.

> so in sites-enabled i put several files that  is being loaded but
> nothing is working

Does "nothing is working" include "curl -v http://xxxx.yyy.be" getting
something other than a 301 redirect to https://xxxx.yyy.be ?

If so - what does it get instead?

>         include /opt/local/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/*;

> here is the content:
>
> owncloud:

> server {
>    listen 443 ssl http2;

ssl is on, but there is no "default_server" set explicitly here.

> and mattermost:

> server {
>    listen 443;

ssl is not on, and there is no "default_server" set explicitly here.

Alphabetically, I think that this server{} will be the default for any
connections to port 443, and I'm not sure what will happen when "ssl"
is not set here but is set elsewhere on a port 443 listener.

> This is working (more or less) but if i start moving the ssl bit
> into the owncloud or mattermost its simply is not working any more

I don't understand what you mean by this, I'm afraid.

The config you show does work, but a config you do not show does not
work? Or something else?

> getting each time that i type http://zzzz.yyy.be i get 400 bad
> request The plain HTTP request was sent to HTTPS port

If the problem is "missing ssl on the mattermost listen directive",
then I would expect a https request to be going to a http port.

http request to a https port looks like it would need your upstream
(192.168.1.95:8065) to be listening for https.

Just for clarity, could you show the responses you get for a "curl -v"
request to the first http:// address, and then to the (presumably)
returned 301 Location?

That may make it more obvious what is happening, compared to what should
be happening; and may make the solution clear to somebody.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org