Mail Proxy with xclient - connection lost

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sun Jan 29 21:05:24 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 02:41:29AM -0500, coolmike wrote:

Hi there,

> Do I need a special configuration for my exim mailserver when I use xclient?

Probably, yes.

"xclient" changes the SMTP protocol spoken between the client (nginx)
and the server (exim). Unless both ends speak the protocol, confusion
will happen.

Searching the web for "exim xclient" indicates that local patches for
it existed two years ago, and it is not immediately clear to me if they
were accepted into mainline.

You may have to consult your exim documentation to see if your version
can handle it, and if so, how.

Possibly the simplest way to check is for you to "telnet" or "netcat"
to your exim server:port, and type the EHLO/XCLIENT/HELO commands that
nginx would send, and see what happens.

(This will make most sense to you if you already know what the SMTP
conversation is supposed to look like.)

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org